Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Seven Word's you never hear in church "sin"

This month’s word is sin. Why don’t we call sin, sin anymore? We try to make it out as if God does not care if we transgress His laws. Preachers are quick to preach on God’s love, His money, His plans for our lives, yet they forget to preach on His key attribute and that is, righteous judge. If we live like sin is not sin, we deny his holiness and are no different than the unbeliever. John, in his letters, even said we were never children of God if we do that. So, why do these powerful TV preachers and pastors in pulpits around America not preach sin? Here is more from Osteen’s interview with Larry King. This time we see what he thinks about sin. The last part is how popular author and Pastor Rick Warren views sin. With these men peddling Christ and not leading others to proclaim the real gospel, it is no wonder we never hear the word sin in church anymore.
KING: How about issues that the church has feelings about? Abortion? Same- sex marriages?
OSTEEN: Yeah. You know what, Larry? I don't go there. I just ...
KING: You have thoughts, though.
OSTEEN: I have thoughts. I just, you know, I don't think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be. I don't think abortion is the best. I think there are other, you know, a better way to live your life. But I'm not going to condemn those people. I tell them all the time our church is open for everybody.
KING: You don't call them sinners?
OSTEEN: I don't.
KING: Is that a word you don't use?
OSTEEN: I don't use it. I never thought about it. But I probably don't. But most people already know what they're doing wrong. When I get them to church I want to tell them that you can change. There can be a difference in your life. So I don't go down the road of condemning.
Mr. Osteen, we know there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus, but we have to get them to Christ first. In sin, there is condemnation and the devil is the first to point that out. Did you know the word "sin" occurs in the King James Bible over 830 times alone Mr. Osteen !? Jesus used it, what makes you any different?
Rick Warren, another popular preacher, does not like this idea of sin either. In fact, he downgrades it and says that the root of all sin is simply self-centeredness and “not giving God the glory” (pp. 54-55 Purpose Driven Life). Warren does not use words like evil, wickedness, unrighteousness, or disobedience to God in his book; which are the Biblical definitions of sin. Warren talks of it as merely mistakes, stumbling, lack of maturity, hurting the community, etc. Not calling sin, sin, is destructive and misleading to the body of Christ. Throughout Warren’s book, it is all about God’s love, but it never speaks of God’s holiness. To separate the God of Love from the God who is judge is hermeneutical suicide and pastoral malpractice. We must fear God as much as we love Him. This has been my One Man’s Opinion.

No comments: