Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Seven Dirty words you can't say in church "hell"

Long ago a vulgar comedian had a bit about seven dirty words you cannot say on radio. As of late, I have felt like the Lord has been telling me through the Holy Sprint that in today’s church we have invented our own little list seven dirty words you cannot say in church. Popular preachers and writers are proclaiming on secular television that the Fundamentalist who push these seven dirty words are destroying the church. I believe this is a grave error. Not to boldly proclaim these seven words is malpractice for the pastor of that church. You, sir or mam are leading your sheep straight to the slaughter with such a watered down, cotton candy approach to God’s Word. Your gospel lacks the authority and power to do anything for the sinner. Here are the seven dirty words you cannot say in the American church.
Hell- H E double hockey stick, Hades, Sheol, the grave, the place of weeping and gnashing of teeth, eternal torment, lake of fire. No matter what term you use, we must use it in the church today. Popular teachers say the use of Hell damages the persons self-esteem and causes them to reject the church. Others just say they do not believe in a literal Hell, as Joel Osteen did on Larry King Live:
KING: But you are not fire and brimstone, right? You aren’t pound the decks and hell and damnation?
Osteen: No. That's not me. It's never been me. I've always been an encourager at heart. And when I took over from my father he came from the Southern Baptist background and back 40, 50 years ago there was a lot more of that. But, you know, I just -- I don't believe in that. I don't believe -- maybe it was for a time. But I don't have it in my heart to condemn people. I'm there to encourage them. I see myself more as a coach, as a motivator to help them experience the life God has for us. (emphasis mine)

If Hell is not real, then what Jesus did for us on the cross was in vain. With this line of belief, there is no alternative to Heaven. How dare we say such a dirty word in our churches. Heaven forbid if we preach like Jesus. News flash! Jesus preached more on Hell then he ever did on Heaven. It’s in the Bible, you just got to read it. The Texas preacher calls himself a coach or a motivational speaker, maybe then he should stop claiming to be a minister and pay taxes on his enormous empire. I guess peddling Jesus has its rewards. Oh, to return to 40 years ago when we preached the truth!

This article is an adaptation of the authors forthcoming book Seven Dirty Words You Can’t Say in Church, For more info email at actstwofour@hotmail.com

No comments: